Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Don't Be A Douche

It seems to me that this is a fairly easy rule to follow.  Treat others as you'd like to be treated.  Give respect, be humble, show gratitude.  This is a concept my mother taught me when I was quite young and it has stood me in good stead my whole life.  If I treat others well, they (generally) do the same to me.  Even when they don't, at least I know that I did all I could to show them proper courtesy, and I can come away from an encounter feeling good about myself.

I  have to wonder if this guy feels good about himself.  Sadly, I'm afraid he does.  He's probably patting himself on the back, congratulating himself for the canny marketing and public awareness "campaign" he just pulled off.  Unfortunately, he's also earned himself a permanent spot on my Will Not Read EVER list for his behavior.

The Man Who Thought He Was King


Pretty sad, I think, that some feel they have to resort to bragging and jeers to make themselves look better.  Even sadder that it just makes them look worse.

Writers, don't be douches.  Accept criticism with grace.  Have a sense of humor about yourself and your work.  I promise you'll have a much easier time getting and keeping an audience for your books.

No comments:

Post a Comment